Re: ADSL

> I've used winipcfg to find out the information I need, but Linux is still having problems resolving webSite addresses, especially when I run dselect.  Some of the information that the network config file asks from me I also find confusing.  Like the gateway question and the Broadcast one, as well as the DNS Server.  I'm signed onto Sympatico and they're not helping with Linux config.  Is there any way you could give me some kind of step-by-step as to how you did it?  Or to help me out somehow?   If you need any more information,  let me know.

I don't know about getting ADSL to work, but I do know what those terms
mean that you are having problems with.  DNS is the Domain Name Server.
When you type in an internet address, say www.slashdot.org, the browser
asks the DNS server what the ip address is of that site so it can make a
connection.  Without a DNS, you can only make ip connections and can't use
doman names.  The broadcast is the address that your machine will send
info out.  Usually it is the same as your IP address, except the last
section is 255.  For example, if you have an IP address of 10.0.3.10, the
broadcast usually is 10.0.3.255.  The gateway is the machine through which
all your requests to the internet is processed.  The gateway is usually
the computer that allows you to get out of you network.  Usually the
gateway is the same as your IP address, only the last number is 1.  For
exmaple, using the above number, the gateway would be 10.0.3.1.  As for
setting up the ADSL, the way I understand it is you basically set it up
like an ethernet device and everything should work.  I'm not exactly sure
since i've never done it before.  Hope this helps some.

								Rob