Re: xdm on a headless machine

*- On 13 Jul, Bob C. Ruddy wrote about "xdm on a headless machine"
> Who would I go about starting xdm on a machine were I didn't want it to
> take over the console?

Read the xdm man page:

   OVERVIEW
          xdm  is  highly configurable, and most of its behavior can
          be controlled by resource files and  shell  scripts.   The
          names  of  these  files themselves are resources read from
          the file xdm-config or  the  file  named  by  the  -config
          option.

==>       xdm  offers display management two different ways.  It can
==>       manage X servers running on the local machine  and  speci­
==>       fied in Xservers, and it can manage remote X servers (typ­
          ically X terminals) using XDMCP (the XDM Control Protocol)
          as specified in the Xaccess file.

Then make sure all lines are commented in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and the
correct setup is in /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess. Start xdm as normal.

--
Brian