Re: GMT ntp servers

GMT/timezone really doesn't matter: the timezone is set inside your
computer and would be better served with tzconfig.   This having been
said, what stratum are you cool with?  I use tycho.usno.navy.mil
(192.5.41.293), but that's second stratum (it's also The Naval
Observatory's WWW time server).  I also use bitsy.mit.edu (18.72.0.3) as
backup and haven't had much trouble.  HTH