Re: Network setup.

Hans van den Boogert writes:
> But isn't that changed when you invoke #route -add default ppp0?

The defaultroute is the route used when no other matches: it makes no sense
to have more than one.  If you do and they both have the same metric the
first one in the routing table seems to be used (I assume that if the
metrics differ the better one will be used).  I don't know in what order
routes are added, but it isn't the order of creation.  On this box a
defaultroute to eth0 comes before one to ppp0 even if the one to ppp0 was
created first.  Thus "route -add default ppp0" won't have any effect.
You must first delete the undesired route.

Unless you need to have a defaultroute pointing to eth0 (and you almost
certainly do not) the best solution is to fix /etc/init.d/networks so that
it never creates it.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)