potato ethernet error

I'm running potato (i386) with the 2.2.10 kernel primarily for samba and
netatalk services.  It appears that one Mac on the network (a 9500/120 with
OS 8.1) causes the same error message to start popping  up on the console -
eth0: tx interrupt but no status - and file transfers slow to a crawl.
/proc/net/dev shows an increase in transmit collisions but no errors.  The
Linux ethernet card is an Intel EtherExpress 16 and the Mac is using the
built-in ethernet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can try to fix this?

Thanks,

Craig Daniels
craig.daniels@hboc.com