Re: Argh! I think my last msg sent as HTML...

> Subject: Re: Argh! I think my last msg sent as HTML...
> Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 00:24:05 -0400
> From: "Chris Concannon" <jmc@maine.rr.com>
> To: "Stephen Pitts" <smpitts@midsouth.rr.com>
> CC: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
>
> > I went through hell to get this one to work..once. After a reboot, it
> > refused to work again. It works fine under Windows, so I guess it
> > just doesn't like Linux. My advice: Get a D-Link 530TX. It was 24.95
> > at CompUSA and it worked flawlessly with the via-rhine driver
> > the first time I tried.
> >
> > Regarding Roadrunner, look at the rrlogind and rrdhcpcd packages.
> > They should have what you need.
>
> I heard that there were various chipsets that the EtherFast is based on, all
> using "Tulip", yet one had huge problems while the other two (or one,
> forgot) didn't. I'm not sure which mine is though. Are the rrlogind and
> rrdhcpcd packages included in the main distribution somewhere? If not, where
> can I get them?

I'm using RoadRunner with Debian 2.1.  I'm not using rrlogind or
rrdhcpcd, which are part of 'unstable' and require a 2.2.x kernel--I'm
just using dhcpcd.

If you're wondering, here's roughly what I did to get the cable modem
working:

1)  Let the MediaOne guys install the RoadRunner service on Win98.
(Yeah, this is cheating, but it is necessary for step 2.)

2)  Use the "winipcfg" command on Win98 (or "ipconfig /all" on NT) to
figure out what IP, DNS, etc. was given by DHCP.

3)  Install Debian.  When asked for network configuration info, use the
info you got from Windows in step 2.  When selecting packages, make sure
to select dhcpcd.

Step 2 may not actually be necessary; you may be able to just give some
dummy IP address during the install and then let dhcpcd handle
everything later.  But it's what I did.  One cool thing about this
approach is that you can install all of Debian over the network (without
the CDs or without waiting days for your modem to download it all).

I'm using a Tulip-based Ethernet card, and have had no problems with it
and the cable modem.

- Kris