Setting up Debian with sound

I have set up hamm on my IBM Aptiva (model 2153-E2U).  I would like to get
the built-in sound card working, but it appears I will have to recompile the
kernel.  Since I am a LINUX newbie, this is not a trivial task.

My question is basically this - Is there an easier way and if not, has anyone
gotten this to work on this hardware?  I would hate to spend days on this
only to discover that the sound card is not Sound Blaster compatible "enough".

Thanks!