Help for a (soon to be) new user

Hello everyone,
    I have a machine that I'd like to setup with slink, but I have a few questions that I'd appreciate it if someone could help me with first. I have a RivaTNT video card in this machine, which I don't believe is supported in the version of X that is in slink. I think it needs X 3.3.3 or newer. I have access to a cdr, and I was wondering what the easiest way would be to download any/all upgrades to the OS, not just XFree86, but anything else that has been upgraded, where to download them, and any tips on making the cd. Should I just grab the "proposed-updates" directory off of the FTP site? I'm not sure if that contains what I need. I want a way that I can just burn things onto a CD or two, then after the install type a line or two and everything will auto-update itself. :)
    My second question is a little more specific. I use Time Warner's Road Runner, a cable modem ISP. I have setup Linux various other times with various other distributions (probably close to 20 installs total), yet have spent (most likely) less than 5 hours in the actual OS. Why is this? Because I always have difficulty getting my internet connectivity working, and for me a computer with no internet access is about as useful as a pen with no ink. I was wondering if anyone out there has had success setting up Road Runner (not just any cable ISP, RR is different. We have a weird login program [ugh] and all kinds of other nonsense) with Debian. I also know of the rrlogin.c program, I've compiled it on other distributions and followed the directions as best as I could, and I just couldn't get it to work. It would let me type in login/password, and would go back to the prompt, but when I'd run netscape, ftp, or try to ping an outside web address, it wouldn't work. Yes, I know the proper netcard settings (I have a Linksys card that uses the Tulip driver), and I've had success with configuring everything before. But it seemed to be all trial-and-error. I want as much of a "screw up free" method as possible. I don't mean to sound offensive, but I would really rather hear from someone who got it working, not someone who typed "road runner linux" into a search engine and copies URLs into a reply message.
    Lastly, this is just a general question. I'll outline the specs of this system, and I'd *really* appreciate any insights/recommendations anyone can offer me on possible conflicts, etc.

AMD K6-III 400
96MB RAM
RivaTNT AGP vid card
SoundBlaster AWE64
Linksys EtherFast something-or-other that uses the Tulip netcard driver
Optiquest V95 19" monitor
Logitech MouseMan PS/2 mouse (3 button with a thumb button on the side)

Thanks to anyone who bothered to read this long message, and again, I sincerely appreciate any/all help.

-Chris Concannon