Re: Squid hogging memory with children

In article <cistron.greg-990708155451.A0111016@linuxbox.gregbaker.local>,
Greg Baker  <ggbaker@sfu.ca> wrote:
>I just upgraded Squid (to 2.1.2-1, the newest in stable).  It's
>started to spawn a bunch of (16) child processes that consume a lot of my
>memory.  Despite my best efforts with the config file, I can't change
>the number of children.  Can anybody give my a pointer on this?

There are no children. What you are seeing are threads, but "ps" doesn't
know the difference between a process and a thread.

>I just want to use squid as a cache for my PPP connection, and don't
>want to hand over 100 Mb to it.

It doesn't use 100 MB of memory. The memory space is shared between
threads, so if the process is 10 MB and you have 16 threads it may
_look_ like they're using 160 MB of memory but in fact only 10 MB is used.

Mike.
--
Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers.