Re: Memory Recognition Problem

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999 18:59:52 -0400, "Jonathan D. Proulx" <jon@osfn.org>
wrote:

>The bios reports 3716k RAM with >1M memory checking enabled
>there's 4 30pin simms installed.
>
>Linux sees 1936k available (free and top).
>
>Anyone know what can be causing this?

  The memory reported does not include the memory occupied by the
kernel. I had similar readings on a similar machine, and it was
practically unusable.  I'd advise you to compile a custom kernel (on a
different machine!) with only what you need in it, and of that the stuff
you don't need all the time moved to modules. Dpkg makes it easy to make
a debian package of the custom kernel and modules, to install on the
low-mem machine.  My 4M 386 now has 3260K available memory, and
functions without problems as an IP-masqerading host.

  Gertjan.

--
Gertjan Klein <gklein@xs4all.nl>
The Boot Control home page: http://www.xs4all.nl/~gklein/bcpage.html