Re: preventing weak passwords

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Chad A. Adlawan wrote:

>   im really sick of almost having to remind my users to use
>   non-dictionary passwords.  we provide a web based interface to
>   change their passwords and so the checking done by executing
>   /usr/bin/passwd is not implemented.  im thinking of "dictionary
>   cracking" my users passwords so that i can narrow down on those
>   only on those whos passwords need fixing, that is, only those
>   whose passwords can be "dictionary cracked".  does anyone know of
>   an application that can do what i want ?

You may want to consider the debian package for cracklib2.  This is a
library that will check the quality of the passwords as they are set
by the user so it is proactive.

Alternately, the author of cracklib2 has another program named crack
that will check the quality of existing passwords.  Not packaged in
debian yet.

--
Jean Pierre