Re: preventing weak passwords

On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 07:39:44AM +0800, Chad A. Adlawan wrote:

> hello all,
>   im really sick of almost having to remind my users to use
>   non-dictionary passwords.  we provide a web based interface to change
>   their passwords and so the checking done by executing /usr/bin/passwd
>   is not implemented.
>
>   im thinking of "dictionary cracking" my users passwords so that i can
>   narrow down on those only on those whos passwords need fixing, that
>   is, only those whose passwords can be "dictionary cracked".
>
>   does anyone know of an application that can do what i want ?

The first edition of "Programming perl" had an example script for checking
passwords, but it was dropped in the current edition. Fortunately, O'Reilly
still has the example tarball on their FTP site. Look for ch6/passwd in

ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/examples/nutshell/programming_perl/perl.tar.Z

HTH,

Your Pal Dave

--
Dave Thayer