Re: lp stopped working--"connection refused"

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Jose L Gomez Dans wrote:

> problems stroke...
>
> 	To start with, submitting jobs to the server would put a couple of
> files in the spool directory (of dfA/hfA pattern), but these wouldn't be
> printed. Lpd was running, so it looked as if lpd couldn't see the files in
> the spool directory. Strange...
>
> 	Today, I started getting ERRHRD=39. The files weren't even copied to
> the server. After some tinkering about, it seems as if the samba server is
> not displaying the printer as a service. So, from the server, i try to lpr
> something, and to my surprise, find out that "connection to 'localhost'
> failed - connection refused. job 'cfA...' transfer to ljet@localhost failed"
>
> 	So the spooler is doing its bit, it's just when it sends the job to
> the printer that I get an error. I'm clueless as of what's going on in
> here... Can anyone help?

I had a similar problem some time ago and discovered the my lp module had
gone missing.  After modconf it started working again.  I could never find
out why that happened.

Johann
| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the
      books were opened; and another book was opened, which
      is the book of life; and the dead were judged out of
      those things which were written in the books,
      according to their works."       Revelations 20:11,12