Re: CD-RW drives and Linux (IDE/IDE quirks)

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 12:28:59PM +0200, Wouter Hanegraaff wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 05:07:47PM -0400, Alec Smith wrote:
> > The cheapest option would be the IDE/IDE combo. Would an IDE CD-RW be
> > easily used in Debian? Also, which drives are recommended? I'm more
> > interested in burning CD-R discs than the ReWrite capabilities.
>
> With the right kernel options, as mentioned before, an IDE CD-RW works
> perfectly. I have a IDE/IDE setup with an a-open cd reader and a
> Philips 3610 writer. No problems at all, except 2speed writing is nog
> so fast.

One problem I've run into with this setup is that certain operations
(blanking CDRWs, fixating CDR or CDRW) would cause the reader (or anything
else on the same controller to be come unavailable until the operation was
complete.  It took me quite a while to notice the problem because actually
writing to the CDR didn't cause any problem and I never had problems copying
CDs etc.  I was under the impression that this was an issue with the Linux
SCSI support (and thus IDE-SCSI as well).

Has anyone else seen this sort of problem?

--
Ray