Re: Alternastive to using squid

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 12:35:49PM +0100, Patrick Kirk wrote:
> I do not need the caching, etc. that one gets with squid.  What do I need to
> do just to have internet access via this machine?

Take a look at tinyproxy... It should do what you're after (it's just a proxy, no caching). Or you could try something like junkbuster, which is also a proxy, but has the ability to filter stuff from sites (such as advertisements).

If you want to do more than just HTTP, you might want to look into IP masquerading, which will let you do (almost) everything as if the machine were connected directly to the internet...

--
Matthew Gregan                                  kinetik@ihug.co.nz