Re: KDE : why not in Debian?

On Tue, Jul 06, 1999 at 20:58:37 +0200, Attila Csosz wrote:
> Why not the KDE in the Debian distribution? It distributed with its source
> code and licensed with GPL( as I read in the KDE FAQ )

See http://www.debian.org/News/1998/19981008 . Basically, KDE's license (the
GPL) interacts with the license of a library KDE depends on (Qt, be it under
the old non-free license, or the QPL) in such a fashion as to making
redistributing of KDE binaries impossible.

There are strong indications that the KDE developers are working towards a
license change for KDE; such a change will hopefully make it possible for
Debian to distribute KDE binaries.

HTH,
Ray
--
POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.