RE: file transfers and the PIII

On 06-Jul-99 Jef Elliott wrote:

>       Just joined the list - looks to be a good resource. Hope
> someone can offer some insight or advice.
>

>       Are there any known concerns with the PIII chip and Linux?

Nope, other than it runs really fast (-:

>       We run Debian on several Dell PowerEdge servers (2 6300s, 1
> 4300,and  3 2300s). Some run Debian 2.0, and others run 2.1. However,
> all run the 2.0.36 kernel.

Time for a new kernel.  Dual CPU machines really get MUCH better performance
out of 2.2 based kernels.  They are stable and safe.

2.2.x also has a much improved driver for the nic card.

VA Linux systems is now shipping pIII based Linux machines and have not had any
serious complaints.  All of their machines ship with 2.2.x.