Re: Just my opinion

Mark Brown <broonie@tardis.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
=> one of the things that most impressed me about Debian was that
=> once I'd done the install, pretty much all the services I'd installed
=> support for were set up and working.  With previous distributions,
=> I'd
=> always had to spend far too much time figuring out what I'd installed
=> and working out how to configure it.

Quite. I previously used Caldera, RedHat and SuSE. I decided to try
Debian, and yes, the  dselect part of the install was a pain but not a
lot more so than I found with SuSE and RedHat when I opted to choose
which packages to install. I found YAST just as mind-boggling.

Anyhow, once I had a working Debian system I too was amazed at how well
configured my system was. I only had to install a package and it worked
flawlessly. This most certainly wasn't always the case with SuSE or
RedHat! I had struggled on RedHat/SuSE for ages to get all my Tk apps to
use TkStep (to give them a NeXT look). All I did with Debian is intall
the TkStep package. Bingo. Just one small example.

Then there is apt. Once you have a working Debian system, apt is just
wonderful. apt-get install newpackage will get the newpackage and all
other necessary packages. Painlessly and flawlessly. Brilliant!

In all, Debian is well worth the effort. It will be interesting to see
what Corel do with the install routine.

--
Phillip Deackes
gsmh@gmx.net