Re: Tab Tab program/command line editing

Carl Mummert wrote:

> >It's a feature of bash, as has been mentioned. According to the bash
> >manpage, you can get rid of it by adding a line "set disable-completion
> >on" in your /etc/inputrc (for the entire system) or ~/.inputrc (for
> >whichever user's home directory it's in). Be advised you have to restart
> >bash for this to take effect. Other shells might use a different file.
>
> Looking at the bash manpage, you can also use the 'bind' command
> to bash to change your keybindings at runtime; 'bind -P' will
> list the current bindings.

Thanks:)  It's getting late for me but I see that,

possible-completions can be found on "\e=", "\e?".

when I checked 'bind -P'

I'm learning Perl right now and I know '\e' is used as an escape
character so I bet '\e=' and '\e?' in Bash is the Esc key.  I'll look
into how to modify the key bindings tomorrow.

> >i don't know why it's doing it when you press esc twice. i have to press
> >esc four times to do it...
>
> Is this on a console or over a terminal?

It works the same in console or in an xterm.

>It may be that you have to press
> escape twice to get a single escape character to be read; that is,
> escape may be acting as a sticky modifier, and you have to hit it
> twice to get the actuasl keycode.

Thanks again,
kent