The vexed 2-CD problem...

Ignorance is truly bliss. Some months after installing 2.1 from CD I am now
trying to remember how I did it. (Upon gaining cable internet access I quickly
kicked the whole thing up to potato level, and all I have to say about that is
God Bless Apt. <g>)

I think that out of sheer instinct (or dumb habit) I did *not* opt for the
dselect access method calling for a CD "set." I *think* I just chose the old
"CD" method, installed what was on the first CD and went my merry way. Then
later I *think* I may have popped CD #2 into the drive, ran dselect and just
installed something or other I know not what!

NOW, as I say some months later (it can't have been that long though) I come
to notice I have an empty /etc/rc.boot dir. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, at
least that I've noticed. I have what I think is a super environment in which
to play. I've built gnome from source tarballs and kde2 from cvs. Kewl. I have
all sorts of ppp running, over copper wire modem and ethernet. Also kewl. I
can even dial up a bulletin board or two; remember those? I even got sound!

So, faithful assembled, what AM I missing? I see in my olde slink rc.boot
there's setserial and some others. Could I have by hook and crook managed to
find a way around the 2-CD-Conundrum without even knowing?

--
Bob Bernstein                http://members.home.net/ruptured-duck
at