Re: Fate strikes again

All right.... this is the thing though... If you do c+a+f1, then it exits, but then if you try running `startx' it complains about the Xserver already running... so do you think I should be typing xdm instead? I'll have to try... I really want to reinstall GNOME... I miss it and windows is getting fugly. :(

From: Chris Flipse <flip@csh.rit.edu>
To: danb2@home.com
CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Fate strikes again
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 23:49:09 -0400

On Tue, Jul 06, 1999 at 03:33:15AM +0000, Dan wrote:
>Would you believe it? Thanks to the info in this message I relinked
>/dev/mouse to /dev/psaux and X finally worked with the mouse. (I tried
>/dev/psaux using the graphical xf86setup program, but it didn't work for
>some reason, how odd.) It is amazing, isn't it? Only problem now is that
>when I right click and hit "Exit X" all it does is restart X with the debian
>login... I think that oughta be fixed. I'll have to look into that script
>file, I forget what its called. Oh well.

Not a bug -- what you're getting back to is XDM (X Display Manager)
...well, that or wdm, kdm or login.app or...there's a host of them...

XDM and it's ilk are basically terminal logins for the X server.  You
log in through XDM, putz around in your X session, and when you quit,
the login comes up again.  Just like when you log in from the command
prompt.

If you want to log in from the command prompt, you can switch to another
VT using <ctrl>-<alt>-<Fn>.

If you don't want the XDM login at all, uninstall the package.  You can
enter X windows from the command prompt by typing "startx"

 - flip