Re: Basic networking

> I gather I need a HUB or a switch for anything more than two hosts?
> connected to. Is there any advantage to a switch in a small home
> network? Money, at this level, really isn't the issue, but I don't
> want to spend extra money on a switch if it's overkill for a small
> network and doesn't really buy me anything.

Getting a basic 100Mbit/s hub will be pretty cheap for a 4-8 port
nertwork.  Going with a switch, even the most basic, will start to run to
the thousands.  It's far more efficient with the traffic, but unless you
plan on having a very busy network sending huge chunks of data around in a
hurry, a hub should work fine.

Mathias