Re: Basic networking

On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 11:45:57AM -0600, Gary L. Hennigan wrote:

> I gather I need a HUB or a switch for anything more than two hosts?

If you're using cat5.  If you're just using coax cable, you don't need a
hub or switch and can just hang everything off the one wire.

> Which one? I believe I understand the difference. A hub acts as a
> simple amplifier. Any signal it receives on one of it's ports is
> amplified and sent to all it's other ports. A switch, if my
> understanding is correct, adds some smarts to the process and only
> sends the signals to relevant ports. So if machine A sends a packet to
> machine B that packet is only sent to the port that machine B is

That's about it.  Hubs can have some smarts in them - they can cut off
hosts that are flooding the network and detect faulty cabling.

> connected to. Is there any advantage to a switch in a small home
> network? Money, at this level, really isn't the issue, but I don't
> want to spend extra money on a switch if it's overkill for a small
> network and doesn't really buy me anything.

Unless you find that your bandwidth is constantly saturated, I wouldn't
worry about a switch.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/