SIOCADDRT error [WAS: Networking Question]

Hi again,

When I try to restart /etc/init.d/network or set the route from the
cli, I get an SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument error. I searched through
the archives, and the only thing I found was a reference to 2.2.*
kernels and upgrade netbase to the one in potato.

The kernel on this machine is 2.0.36. It worked earlier today when I
ran ifconfig and route by hand. If I recall correctly, it also worked
when I edited the /etc/init.d/network script to setup the interfaces
autmatically and restarted it.

This is what I've done to possibly screw it up. I wanted to install
ssh, but I realized that I had compile my kernel without scsi support
(and I have a scsi cdrom drive--okay, okay stop laughing). I
reconfigured the kernel with the same .config, the only difference
being that I added scsi support to it. So I compiled (via make-kpkg),
installed and rebooted. Then it dawns on me that ssh is in non-us and
I don't have non-us on the cdroms. So I decided the easiest way is to
simply enable telnet on my main computer, telnet in and copy ssh from
/var/cache/apt/archives and the disable it. This is where I find I
can't connect. I couldn't ping either.

Anyone know how I might solve this dilemna? I can't upgrade cuz I
can't get a connection, so that's out.

Any suggestions...?

tia
--