Re: SVGATextMode

On 04 Jul 1999, Lex Chive wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble with SVGATextMode. I have an S3 Virge DX, but every time I
> use a mode using a frequency over 37.5 MHz, I have display problems: at 40MHz
> some chars become unreadable, at 45 only some chars are actually readable and
> at 50 it gets simply impossible to read anything. Strangely enough, the
> problems only start after I've run X once. The output of grabmode is exactly
> the same before and after running X:
>
> 	"132x34"   40.035   1056 1072 1232 1280   476 490 492 525   -Hsync -Vsync
> 	 font 8x14   # 31.277kHz/59.58Hz
>
> I tried with different monitors, but it didnt change anything. The one im
> using now can handle 30-54 kHz H and 50-90 Hz V. Also the manual states a
> max bandwidth of 75 MHz.
>
> Anyone experienced something similar? If so I'd like to hear the solution :-)
>
> -Lex

This is probably not very helpful, but the author of SVGATextmode announced
recently that he was ceasing to support it because he found it was no
longer so useful with modern video cards.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: www.achc.demon.co.uk/bookreviews/

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)