Bad clusters

How does Linux handle bad clusters or can linux not use a hard drive with
bad clusters?  How do you get a report of the bad clusters?  I was
formatting a HD in linux and it started taking a REALLY long time near the
end of it.  In DOS, bad sectors were reported, but it finished formatting.
I installed linux and set it up, but was having some really weird problems
and thought it might be because of the bad sectors.  So, I nuked the
partitions and tried to format in DOS again, only this time it wouldn't
format.  Linux formatted (even with the option for to report bad clusters)
but it took a long time, as I said.  Thus, I am wondering how linux
handles bad clusters.  TIA.

								Rob

ratirh@lore.cs.purdue.edu : Role-Player, Babylon 5 fanatic      1998-99
Aka Khyron the Backstabber : ICQ# 2325055
Homepage: www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/ratirh

"Happiness comes in short spurts.  Don't be fooled."