Re: .bash_profile never read in X

> From: carlf@panix.com (Carl Fink)

> One thing that has bugged me ever since I switched to gdm:  my
> .bashrc and .bash_profile files are never read.

Isn't one problem that when one starts the X server using startx,
applications (e.g., xterm) are not started with the same environment
that existed in the shell from which the X server started?

That is, if you manually (not in a startup script) modify the PATH
environment variable in a shell on a virtual console, start X using
startx from that shell, and bring up a shell in an xterm (including
automatically), the modification to the PATH variable is no longer
in effect.

I assume this is a result of running the X server with
special privileges and resetting PATH for safety.

However, can't the X startup scripts save PATH (and anything else
reset) and restore the value before the xinitrc script is run
and by the time menus can be used to run things?

That would follow Unix's normal inheritance of environment
settings in subprocesses.

Is there any reason this can't be done?

(Note that you don't necessarily want to re-read .bash_profile
when you start an xterm.  You might want to inherit environmental
modifications that overrode the original settings from
.bash_profile.)

Daniel