Re: What's the best way to organize "small" drives

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Marc Mongeon wrote:

> I believe you are given the opportunity to mount multiple partitions
> during the installation process.  At the very least, you should mount
> / and /usr on two separate (largest) partitions.  These are the
> directories that fill up quickly.  Some people also choose to mount
> /home, /usr/local, and /tmp separately as well.  You should mount
> all of the available partitions when you're given the chance during
> the installation.

There was a discussion a month or so ago about partition sizing, you may
want to check the archives.

One of the conclusions was that, if you only put necessary files in /, it
doesn't need much space at all. On my system, i'm using only 18M for /.
/home, /var, and /usr are mounted from other partitions. /tmp is symlinked
to /var/tmp (a /tmp directory is created under the /var mount point JIC).

IIRC, mounting /tmp can open a security hole if people have access to the
hardware of your machine... Then again, letting untrusted people have
access is a security hole in itself.