samba: anyone else get "Can't become connected user!" with potato version 2.0.4b-3 & kernel 2.0.34?

I upgraded a box to potato and now samba doesn't work. I've looked in
the samba archives and the postings I found suggest that this is because
the newer versions of samba use a setresuid call (or don't) and get a
bad return value (http://us1.samba.org/listproc/samba-ntdom/1639.html).
One user says that upgrading the kernel fixed the problem. Well, I'm not
ready to upgrade my kernel. So does anyone else seen this?

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com