Re: new hard drive install

Quoting charles kaufman (chuck@grinder.acc.uri.edu):

> On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Brad wrote:
> >> > Yes it really says FAT 12

... which you presumably don't have. (Actually I just saw my
very first FAT12 partition yesterday when I was mending someone's
disk geometry settings. It was 9MB in size, which I'd guess might
be too small for FAT16.) So it's picking up garbage.

> > What does Linux "fdisk -l" show?
>
> Here it is. The segmentation fault at the end is
> part of the output.(not encouraging)
> The disk is not all partitioned.
>
> fdisk -l
>
> The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1027. This is
> larger than 1024 and may cause problems with
> 1)software that runs at boot time (e.g. LILO)
> 2)booting and partitioning software from other OS's (e.g.
> DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 255 Heads 63 Sectors 1027 Cylinders
> Units =Cylinders of 16065*512 bytes
>
> Device   Boot Begin Start End  Blocks  Id   System
> /dev/hda1  *    1    1     64   51408+  6  DOS 16 bit>=32M
> /dev/hda2  *   65   65    192 1028160  83  Linux native
> /dev/hda3     193  193    205  104422+ 82  Linux swap
> Segmentation fault.

Doesn't that raise the question as to how you partitioned the disk
in the first place? Presumably that didn't segfault or you wouldn't
have been able to write the partition table at all.

Did you use a different program, in which case what does it say
and does it agree with the above? Or did you use the same program
in which case it's a bit worrying that a program can write a
partition table which it itself can't then read.

Cheers,