Updating the system - Debian newbie needs help

Hi guys,

I am considering switching over from SuSE 6.1 to Debian. I guess I am an
average linux user but I am not really familiar with Debian's way of doing
things. I am concerned to understand the process that I will need to go
through to update things like my XFree installation to 3.3.3 as I have a
RivaTNT card. As well as general packages before I make the jump across.

I have been reading up on all of the packages and install tools but I don't
really "get" it yet. Could someone please send me a brief run through on how
to get the system up-to-date and how to keep it there.

Thanks,

Jason.