I/O error on /dev/dsp and /dev/audio

Hi,

	I can't write to either /dev/audio or /dev/dsp, even as root.  The
permissions on both are crw-rw----.  I discovered when trying to set up
RealAudio for a Linux broadcast.  When I tried to cat a file to either of
these devices I get "cat: write error: Input/output error".

	I am wondering if I have maybe misconfigured my sound card.  I know
I could cat sound files through to the device when I was still running Deb
1.3.  I don't know much about sound though.  When I was compiling the kernel
for sound, is was more by guess and by golly than thorough understanding
that I got it to work in 1.3.  I thought I had compiled things the same way
when I upgraded.

	Anyone know what I should be looking at ?  I know at least part of
the kernel support is OK because I can play a music CD throught the sound
card.

	Thanks,

	Gerald