fdisk switching between w98 & Linux

For about the past two months I have been using Debian Linux, version 2.1,
which has been sharing my hard disk with a previously installed w98.  My
computer is at home and is not connected to the internet. I
have been switching between the os's by setting and unsetting the
active partition flag with fdisk. The
other day, my computer woke up, while trying to boot into w98, with the
message "error loading keyboard.drv. You must reinstall windows." However,
w98 has the nasty proclivity to demand the entire disk to (re)install it.
My Linux partition is fine, and I can access all my files on the windows
partition, but of course none of the windows programs runs. (except for
calculator, solitaire, etc., using WINE).  I have consulted the
partition-disaster-HOWTO, but of course this is for rescuing the Linux
partition in a dual installation.  I would appreciate hearing from people
who have run into a similar problem.
Please respond to me personally, since I am not subscribed to the list.
(my mailbox fills up too fast)
Thank you,

Prof. Roy J. Little
Dept. Chem.