Re: new hard drive install

Quoting charles kaufman (chuck@grinder.acc.uri.edu):

> Hi
> Thanks Brad.
> On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Brad wrote:
>
> > > "kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 03:03"
> >
> > It's still trying to mount root from hda3. i don't know why, since you say
> > you've checked and rechecked to make sure /etc/lilo.conf is correct and
> > you've run lilo with the correct settings...
> >
> > Since i can't think of anything else, is the device correct?
> >   $ ls -l /dev/hda2
> >   brw-rw----   1 root     disk       3,   2 Jun 17 22:13 /dev/hda2
> >                                      ^^^^^^
> >
> ls -l /dev/hda2 gives
> brw-r--r-- 1 root root 3,2 Jul 28 1998 /dev/hda2
>
> That's before it's mounted-I have been booting with tomsrtbt (thanks
> to Tom!) so it might be different if it actually boots from that device.
>
> Is there somewhere in the kernel that remembers it used to boot from
> /dev/hda3?

Yes. When you copy a kernel (e.g. I copy /boot/vmlinuz to
c:\loadlin\zimage for loadlin to boot from dos) you need to rdev it.
Type    rdev kernel-image    to see what it's set to and
rdev kernel-image /dev/hda2    to set it. This saves having to tell it
where root is every time you boot it.

Cheers,