Re: new hard drive install

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, charles kaufman wrote:

> I partitioned the new drive with hda1 as dos, hda2 as linux native, hda3
> as linux swap. I copied (only) dos c: to hda1, and all of the linux
> to hda2. I altered lilo.conf to reflect these changes
> and ran lilo; I changed fstab. I also ran mkswap.
>   Now with the new drive on the first ide socket I get the lilo prompt ok.
> If I choose dos, then dos boots and runs ok. But if I choose linux, the
> boot process runs part way and then hangs with a kernel panic after
> the partition check, with the message
> "kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 03:03"

It's still trying to mount root from hda3. i don't know why, since you say
you've checked and rechecked to make sure /etc/lilo.conf is correct and
you've run lilo with the correct settings...

Since i can't think of anything else, is the device correct?
  $ ls -l /dev/hda2
  brw-rw----   1 root     disk       3,   2 Jun 17 22:13 /dev/hda2
                                     ^^^^^^

> The partition check gives "hda: hda1 hda2 hda3" which is what I think it
> should give.

That's right.