Fatal Xserver error 111?

Hi,

I tried to install cxterm and xcin, but with no luck.  Not only that, I
seem to have messed up X windows.  Now, I cannot startx.  It will give me
the following error if I start it from runlevel 3:

-FontTransSocketUNIXConnect cannot connect: errorno= 111
Failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
Fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed'

If I boot to runlevel 5, the (blank) screen will blink every few seconds,
then it stops, giving me a screenful of error message that goes like:

according to some file, xdm (with a PID #) seems to be running, but was
mysteriously murdered.

The same message repeats for several times (with different PID), and then
it says it has to stop for 5 minutes.  Then the whole process repeats
again.  Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?  I appreciate the help!
Thanks!

Best wishes,
Chip