Re: new mail messages

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 05:11:44AM +1200, Tim Nicholas wrote:
> When new mail arives on the system i get a message saying:
>
> tim@krondor~>
> You have mail in /var/spool/mail/tim
> tim@krondor~>
>
> Is there any way to have whichever program does this also monitor
> other mailboxes for mail? I have very little unfiltered mail so i
> dont often get that message.

>From info bash:

Bourne Shell Variables
======================
`MAILPATH'
     A colon-separated list of files which the shell periodically checks
     for new mail.    You can also specify what message is printed by
     separating the file name from the message with a `?'.  When used
     in the text of the message, `$_' stands for the name of the
     current mailfile.

`MAIL'
     If this parameter is set to a filename and the `MAILPATH' variable
     is not set, Bash informs the user of the arrival of mail in the
     specified file.

HTH, Robert

--
Robert Vollmert                                      rvollmert@gmx.net