Re: Kernel Panick: VFS: Unable to mount root.fs on 16:02

On 26 Jun 1999, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> In article <cistron.199906252325.AAA32571@linda.lfix.co.uk>,
> Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote:
> >Johann Spies wrote:
> >  >I got this message after recompiling my kernel and I cannot find out what
> >  >is causing it.  I have a single computer that uses a dialup ppp connection
> >  >to the ISP.
> >  >
> >  >Before the error message in the subject line there were two other error
> >  >lines:
> >  >
> >  >request_module[block-major-22]: root fs not mounted
> >  >VFS: Cannot open device 16:02.
> >
> >That says you're trying to mount /dev/hdc2 as your root partition, and are
> >failing.  Is that what is meant to be happening?
>
> It also says (because of request_module[block-major-22]) that IDE disk
> support was not compiled into the kernel, which ofcourse poses a small
> problem if the root file system is on an IDE disk.

Thanks Mike.  That was the problem in the end.  Some way or another I
made the wrong selection there in trying to enable scsi-emulation.

BTW  where do I read this information that enabled you to know that
block-major-22 refers to the IDE-disk?

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "Love not the world, neither the things that are in
      the world. If any man love the world, the love of the
      Father is not in him."            I John 2:15