Re: Allowing non-root users to start pppd.

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Marshal Wong wrote:

> I use linux on a home computer, so I'm the only user, pretty much.  It's
> just a pain to always type the root password to start my internet
> connection with pon.  I was wondering what would be the best way to
> allow normal users to start the ppp connection?  I hope this hasn't been
> asked 6 million times.  Thanks!

Probably the best way to do it is to add your user to the group 'dip',
with a command like "adduser fred dip". You may also need to change the
owner of /etc/ppp, /etc/ppp/peers, /etc/peers/provider, /etc/chatscripts,
and /etc/chatscripts/provider if the installation set these up wrong (all
should be owned by group dip, not group root).

Then, your user should be able to activate the connection.