Kernel Panick: VFS: Unable to mount root.fs on 16:02

I got this message after recompiling my kernel and I cannot find out what
is causing it.  I have a single computer that uses a dialup ppp connection
to the ISP.

Before the error message in the subject line there were two other error
lines:

request_module[block-major-22]: root fs not mounted
VFS: Cannot open device 16:02.

>From what I have read in
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.9/Documentation/nfsroot.txt it I understand
that the nfs-root system is used on a diskless computer that is part of a
network.  But this did not help me  to correct my error.  I did not see
any such options in the configuration menu's of the kernel.

I would appreciate some help to understand and solve the problem.

Regards

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "Love not the world, neither the things that are in
      the world. If any man love the world, the love of the
      Father is not in him."            I John 2:15