Re: Autofs for root only??

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Gertjan Klein wrote:

>   Unfortunately, the filesystem ext2 recognises neither the gid= nor the
> umask= options, and refuses to mount!  I can find no similar options for

Those options are only valid for MS-DOS and other filesystems which do not
have provisions for permissions.  Since ext2 contains its own permission
information, that is used instead of mount options.

> ext2.  I really don't understand why mount removes the permissions I set
> on the directory I want to mount on.  What else could I do?

When you mount a volume, the permissions of the volume's / directory
supersede those of the mount point.  WHen you unmount it again, the mount
point's permissions should come back.

If you want to change the permissions of the volume's / directory, change
them with chmod once it's mounted.