IMAP - Problem creating new folders

Hello,

I'm getting my mail from a PC running Debian 2.1 and the imap 4.4-4
daemon. In Netscape, my mail reader, the debian PC shows up as a mail
server with an Inbox and I have no problems reading my messages.

But I want to create some mail folders under the Debian PC (by
right-clicking on it and selecting "New Folder") and I always get the
message

"The mail server responded: CREATE failed: Can't create mailbox node
/var/spool/mail/psanchez/: Permission denied"

I thought new folders would be created under $HOME/mail but for this
purpose imap seems to believe that /var/spool/mail/psanchez is a
directory (I can read my mail so certainly it also knows that it is a
file!)

Any ideas?

--
Pedro I. Sanchez