Re: New Install -- No Operation System found

On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 12:24:07PM +0000, Jeremy Gunter wrote:
> Hello,
> 	I have just installed slink onto a new 4GB hard disk (the 2GB that was in
> it failed last week).  Lilo does not seem to write the boot sector to the
> disk, however.  When I try to boot from the disk it says that there is no
> operation system.  When I run Lilo it appears to function correctly, and I
> have confirmed that the partition is set to active...
>
> To get the drive geometry to come up correctly under cfdisk during the
> install I had to give it the exact CHS geometry (hda=8912,15,63).  If I now
> boot the system with the floppy and do not pass it this geometry, cfdisk
> claims it to be a 200GB hard disk (I wish!) and Lilo fails saying that
> there is an invalid partition table.
>
> I suspect that Lilo is writing the boot record somewhere different from
> where the bios expects to find it -- although I admit I am somewhat
> guessing at this point. Thanks for any help you can give me!

I've had numerous problems of this typd using cfdisk.  I've started
using fdisk instead during installations (type alt-F2 and hit return to
get a shell prompt) and had much better results.  If your BIOS supports
it, you should probably use LBA to get under 1024 cylinders.

Bob