switched ppp to ethernet and lost web connectivity (again)

(let me try that again)

I am having problems converting my Debian box from ppp dial-up web access to
access via a windows proxy (Winproxy 2.1) on ethernet.

The Linux box is Debian v2.0 with kernel 2.0.34 running the consoles, no X
windows.

The ethernet hardware is all Linksys 10baseT, and uses the NE2000 drivers on
debian, with Int 3 and address 300. 90.0.0.1 is the proxy & DNS and the Debian
box is at 90.0.0.3  PnP was disabled on the ether card for the Debian box.

I can't get BitchX IRC V74p4+Deb1an to connect on the ether & proxy, nor Lnyx
V2.8rel2. When I use ftp and the proxy command, I can see a connection to the
ftp site in the proxy log. (I know nothing about linux ftp via proxy either, so
that is as far as I get)

After working through the NET-3 HOWTO, the Ethernet HOWTO and various usenets &
the debian list archives, I am beginning to wonder if lynx and BitchX are just
not capable of making the connection without some kind of SOCKS client.

To date, I have re-installed the debian system, and changed the PPP connection
to ethernet. I'm new to LANs, but this part seems to be fine. Any of the 3
boxes can can ping any other computer on the LAN, and pinging a host on the web
by name returns the numeric IP, indicating that DNS works. The proxy log never
indicates any attempt to connect by the Linux browswer or IRC clients, but the
hub does show activity on its LEDs. The other Win machine on the LAN works
fine, but of course the proxy came with detailed config instructions for Win.

I've tried the various testing and troubleshooting hints in the 2 HOWTOs and
they seem to check out fine.

I hope someone can give me a direction to go - is it lynx and BitchX that are
incapable of working without a SOCKS client, or should I go deeper into the
ethernet setup?

TIA,

Dave
McFadden

This message was sent using Galaxy's Mailman server.
http://www.galstar.com