Re: Another two questions...

*- On 22 Jun, Enrico Zini wrote about "Flushing the slink question cache"

> 1) There isn't a group 'shutdown' to whom add people allowed to shutdown,
>    while I often find a need for it in many environments: is there another way
>    (i.e. "The Debian Right Way") to do it?

*- On 22 Jun, Enrico Zini wrote about "Another two questions..."

>  2) I need a way to shut down a debian box in an easy way with a keyboard but
>     no monitor and no user login: can I configure an alternative sequence like
>     ctrl+alt+del to do a shutdown instead of a reboot? Can I have the PC's
>     speaker beep something or better have some samples feed to /dev/dsp when
>     the system can be safely turned off? Can I just do it in a script
>     /etc/rc0.d/S89saygoodnight ?

Edit /etc/inittab and modify the lines similiar to the following, this
is mine. Read the inittab man page.

# What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed.
ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -h now

If you want non root users to be able to shutdown the system with a
ctrl-alt-del then create a file /etc/shutdown.allow and add one user
name per line and add the -a option to the above. Read the shutdown man
page.(I have never used this, ymmv).

The last script to run is /etc/init.d/halt during a shutdown -h, by the
time this is run everyting is unmounted except for / and that is
mounted readonly.  You could probably modify the file to cat a au sound
file(must be in the / fs) to the /dev/dsp device.(Again, I have never
tried this, ymmv).

--
Brian