SOLUTION: trying out glibc2.1 with Slink

A couple of weeks ago I posted to the list asking about trying out
glibc 2.1 without upgrading my whole system to potato. I got some

The best solution was to create a potato subdirectory, chroot to it,
untar the potato base system into it, and install whatever programs
linked with the new libraries that I wanted to try out. This worked
perfectly except that I had to edit the base system manually (setting
the timezone etc). I suppose I could have tried to run a normal
install while chrooted, but I didn't. It used 54 megs (with X
libraries, gtk, other stuff), but what the heck.

Second best was to just look for programs linked without glibc 2.1 (I
wanted to try a Netscape version which was announced by someone, but
it turned out the official supported version uses libc5 anyway).

And third was to try VMWare. This was slow (the RAM check on boot was
interminable, on a PPro 200), inconvenient, and of course
commercial. Inconvenient because they don't yet support raw SCSI
partitions, and I have no IDE drive.

--
Raj Manandhar (raj@colsa.com)    (256) 922-1512 x2900