Matrox MGA-G100 and upgrading X ...

I recently installed debian alongside Win95 on a computer I've had just
under a year.

I thought I'd install the X window server today, but it seems that the
version of X
that came with my debian cd does not support my videocard (Matrox MGA-G100).

I had a look at deja.com and found the following and lots of similar info:

>You should get the latest xfree86 3.3.3.1 updates. I had the same problem
and this update made
>the card work under X. Make sure you get the xfree86 itself, the
xfree86-libs, xfree86Setup
>and/or latest Xconfigurator, and the SVGA server.
>
>Good Luck.

I am quite inexperienced and wondered if anyone tell me how I would go
about acquiring this
software, and what I would need to do with it once I'd acquired it.

I realise that some work on my part is required and I would be happy if
someone would point
me in the direction of some source of information that I could read; in
relation to acquiring
software and installing it.

Also I was wondering what command I need to give inorder to find out which
version of X I was
infact running.

T:irvine