Re: A little confused with Netscape .deb's

Arcady Genkin wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Could someone tell me which .debs I should install to have Netscape
> browser-only on a Slink machine? Is it the netscape-base package?
>
> As far as I found out, versions >=4.5 can be found in unstable, right?
> Can there be any problem because Slink has glibc-2.0, and potato --
> 2.1?
>
> Also, is there a browser-only 4.6?

If you are running slink, you need to install the package
navigator-smotif-45. If you do that using the apt-get command like
this...

apt-get install navigator-smotif-45

...it will install the stand alone Navigator plus all it's dependencies,
including navigator-base-45 and netscape-base-4. If you want java
support and/or the online help, also install the package(s):

netscape-java-45
navigator-nethelp-45

The 4.6 version of Netscape is only in potato (unstable) and requires
the 2.1 version of libc6, which is also only in potato. If you're not
otherwise planning on upgrading to potato at this time, you would
probably be best off to stick with Netscape 4.5 for now. I've had them
both installed and didn't notice much, if any, difference in
functionality - and version 4.5 running on slink is likely to be more
stable.

Tom