Re: newbie: installing new drivers

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Barry Kauler wrote:

> I've only been on this list a few weeks.
> One thing I've noticed when someone asks a question about installing
> a driver -- network, sound, etc. -- back comes the answer "you have to
> recompile the kernel".
> But, you don't, in most cases, as they are loadable.
> I don't know all the issues re recompiling versus loadable drivers,
> but the latter is easier.
> Is the problem here that many responses are from people familiar
> with older versions of Linux and accustomed to doing it "the old way"?
> Same goes for some of the HOWTOs.

Most of the HOWTOs were written for Linux in general. Not every distro
includes a default kernel that has whatever feature already compiled as a
module, so they take the safest route and tell you that you have to
recompile.

i can't speak for anyone else, but the reason i say that the kernel must
be recompiled is that i don't know what modules come with the debian
prepackaged kernels anymore. When i installed, no sound support was
included (likely to keep the size down, sound isn't necessary for
installation). When i wanted sound, i had to recompile the kernel. Of
course, i only chose the options i needed; why should i include support
for every NIC when i only need 3c59x.o, for example?

Also, for the most part we don't know if the person asking the question
has the prepackaged kernel or if they've already recompiled. In order to
have the module to insert, you have to compile the kernel with that
particular option configured as a module. IIGC even copying the module
from someone else wouldn't work if support for that module wasn't compiled
into your kernel...