[ss@cse.unsw.edu.au: Re: [disconnect@unsw.edu.au: Re: network problem]]

Hi,
	Please see my problem forwared below. Is there anyway to let linux
	to reassemble the packet?

	I have fixed my problem by forcing ppp to use a smaller mru & mtu
	size. But, is this the standard way to do it??

	Thanks.

shao.

Shao Zhang - Running Debian 2.1  ___ _               _____
Department of Communications    / __| |_  __ _ ___  |_  / |_  __ _ _ _  __ _
University of New South Wales   \__ \ ' \/ _` / _ \  / /| ' \/ _` | ' \/ _` |
Sydney, Australia               |___/_||_\__,_\___/ /___|_||_\__,_|_||_\__, |
Email: shao@cia.com.au                                                  |___/
--- Begin Message ---
  Shao,

  Has cse changed the mtu size? No.

  1500 is the standard size for ethernet. The problem is that the 1500
  should include header information. linux should allow for the header
  size and request a smaller "maximum segment size" when it starts
  a transaction.

  Our web server doesn't have a problem with the larger segment size
  (being on fddi with a much larger mtu), but the packets end up being
  fragmented. We think your machine then has a problem reassembling
  the fragments. Thus the fix to change the mtu should avoid the
  fragmentation.

  You may not have the problem with other ISP's as they may compensate
  by forcing a smaller mtu.

Cheers,
Tanya (ss for today)

--- End Message ---